Friday, September 27, 2013

Grandma's Photo Album - Page 26 - Snyders and Wilkes County Scenes


(Top left)  The previous building of Pleasant Home Baptist Church in Millers Creek, Wilkes County, N.C.  This building was replaced by the current red brick building which was build in 1947-1948.  This church was founded in 1880.  Founding members included several of my ancestors.

My grandparents' farm was on the same road as the church, Pleasant Home Church Road.

(Top right)  Three siblings, left to right:
  • Betty (alive)
  • Ralph Lewis Snyder (1932-1996)
  • Kathy (alive)
These siblings were the children of my grandparents, Wiley Thomas Snyder and Nora Bessie McNeil Snyder.  This photo was taken on the front porch of their farmhouse in Millers Creek.

(Bottom left)  Left to right:  my grandparents, Nora Bessie McNeil Snyder (1900-1992), Wiley Thomas Snyder (1892-1988), with their son James Neil Snyder (1922-1993).  Neil served in the U.S. Coast Guard from 18 Sep 1939 to 11 Oct 1946.  (see note below)
 I don't whose car this was.  My grandfather only had 2 cars that I know of.  He had a 1924 Ford Model T two-seater with a cloth top.  He later got a 1928 Pontiac.  It was a four-door with dark grey shades in the back windows and rear window to pull down for the sun.

(Bottom right) I think this is my mother's car.  She had a light blue car in the 1950s.  I recognize the setting as her parents' farm in Millers Creek.

Note:  James Neil Snyder, Motor Machinist's Mate First Class, honorably discharged from the U.S. Coast Guard Personnel Separation Center Number Eleven on 11 October 1945; Honorable Discharge; United States Coast Guard; held in private collection of the author.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site.