Friday, July 4, 2014

July 4, 1917 - McNeil sisters and their beaux in Wilkes County, N.C.



The young ladies are the 3 oldest children of George Thomas McNeil (1870-1930) and Clara Eva Jarvis McNeil (1873-1959).  They are almost certainly in Wilkes County since they all lived there in 1917.

I'm not certain this photo was taken on the 4th of July but there are American flags, so it was some patriotic event, possibly related to the U.S. entry into World War I.  They certainly are all dressed up!

(Left couple) Lacy Florence McNeil (1902-1990) and her future husband William Raynor Vannoy (1898-1947).  They were married 7 Jan 1923 in Wilkes County.  Bill had several businesses, including a cab company. He shot himself on 19 Aug 1947.  After that, Lacy moved to Winston-Salem and worked as a clerk at stores and a dry cleaning business.  She also rented out rooms in her home.  My mother, Carrie, rented a room from her in the early 1950's.

(Center) This is my grandmother, Nora Bessie McNeil Snyder (1900-1992).  She was 16.  She doesn't look very happy, probably because she has no beau to pose with her!  My grandfather lived in Winston-Salem at the time.  He registered for the draft June 5 and reported for duty in September, so she may have known he was drafted.

(Right couple) Ila Margaret McNeil (1898-1983) and her future husband Isaac Ransom Vannoy (1894-1979).  They were married on 20 Nov 1918 in Wilkes County.  They ran a country store which was  next to their home.  I always enjoyed visiting them because they gave me a Coca-Cola and candy!


I believe Bill and Isaac were related but I can't figure out exactly how.  There are a lot of Vannoys in Wilkes County!  Bill and Isaac had to register for the draft on June 5, 1917, but I don't have any records that they were ever drafted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site.