Thursday, March 12, 2015

Grandma's Photo Album Page 78 - Snyders in Wilkes County, N.C.


(Upper left)  I know 4 of these 5 women.  From left to right: unknown lady; Bette (living); Mozelle (living); Martha (living); Carrie Snyder (1926-2001). 

I recognize the location as my grandparent's house in Millers Creek, Wilkes County, N.C.  I recognize the tree, the porch, the metal porch glider, and the wood building at the back left which was the garage.  I believe this photo was taken about 1952.

(Lower left)  My uncle and his wife.  He was James Neil Snyder (1922-1993), called Jimmy by most people, and Neil by his parents.  His wife Kay is living. 

This photo shows the view from my grandparents' home in Miller's creek.  Jimmy and Kay lived in Massachusetts, so it looks like they drove down for a visit.

(Right)  My grandfather as a teenager.  Wiley Thomas Snyder (1892-1988) was born and lived in Wilkes County until about 1911 when he moved to the big city to make his fortune.

In the 1910 census, he was an 18-year-old living with his parents and some siblings.  I have a 1912 pay stub showing he was working in Winston-Salem.  He had 2 jobs.  Weekdays he worked for R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.  Saturdays he worked a a collector for a furniture store.  People bought furniture on credit and paid some each week.  The pay stub for one Saturday shows that he earned 10 cents an hour and worked 10 hours, so he earned a whole dollar for the day.  He always observed Sunday as the Sabbath.

I love this photo which shows his everyday clothes, his hunting rifle, and his dog. I assume this photo was taken on his parents' farm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site.