Thursday, August 25, 2016

Courting Miss Nora - April 7, 1918

W.T.'s brother John was inducted into the U.S. Army in Wilkesboro on March 30, 1918.  The first month, he was assigned to the 16 Company 4 Training Battalion 156th Depot Brigade and sent to Camp Jackson, South Carolina, for training.  Tom had been in Camp Jackson over 6 months (since September 2017). 


    April 7, 1918

Hello! Nora –
           I saw John Sunday and was with him nearly all day. I think he wrote you a letter. He is liking all right so far but what are you going to do now for a fellow while he is a way. Wish I was up there so I could come to see you ever Sunday.
            Ha


 [April 7, 1918 – page 2]

I did hate to leave home but I had it to do tho’. I am sorry that I didn’t get to talk to you any while I was up.  I had a whole lots to tell you but maybe I can soon get off again soon to stay longer.  Will you stay at home all the summer.  I will send you a good picture when I get them. That one I sent you won’t not very good.


[April 7, 1918 - page 3]

It is raining hard down here today and I am not doing anything much.  Wish I was up there to your home. Say Nora we boys went fishing Saturday and you bet we sure did have one more good time.  We caught lots of fish too.  Wish you could bin long with us.  I and  John is going over town next Sat. if he get his uniform but we won’t go with any of the girls.  I will see that he don’t go with any of them.  They sure is some good looking girls over town but none like you.  Don’t you get married while John is in the army. Ha.  I am with very Best wishes your true friend.
Mech W. T. Snyder

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site.