Friday, August 23, 2013
Grandma's Photo Album - Page 19 - Jenie Sebastian, Eula and Ila Vannoy, Tom and Neil Snyder
(Left) Mary Lougenie "Genie" McNeil Sebastian (1908-1966). She looks young, so I'm guessing this photo was taken in the 1920's in Wilkes County, N.C.
Genie was my grandmother Nora's sister. Genie was the twin sister of Mattie Lodemie "Demie" McNeil Snyder (1908-1997). The twins married in a double ceremony on December 23, 1928.(1,2,3) (Demie married Donald Vance Snyder (1903-1986), my grandfather's brother.)
Genie and Paul had 3 children. Genie died at age 58 of cancer.(4) I'm sure I met her, but I really don't remember her.
(Middle) Eula Mae Vannoy Sharpe (1920-1993) and her mother, Ila Margaret McNeil Vannoy (1898-1983). Eula was Ila and Isaac Vannoy's oldest child. Ila was my grandmother's oldest sister. Eula was born in August 1920, so this photo was probably taken in late 1920 or 1921.
(Right) My grandfather, Wiley Thomas Snyder, with his son James Neil Snyder (1922-1993). This photo was taken at Waughtown Cemetery, Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, N.C., about 1923. They are at the grave of Tom's first child, Wiley Thomas Snyder, Jr. who died at the age of six weeks in 1921 (5). See his Find-a-Grave memorial here. Wiley was "found dead in bed."
(1) Wilkes County, North Carolina, Marriage Registers, 1870-1965, 4: n.p., Sebastian-McNeil; NC
Archives microfilm C.104.63001.
(2) Wilkes County, North Carolina, Marriage Registers, 1870-1965, 4: n.p., Snyder-McNeil; NC Archives microfilm C.104.63001.
(3) Carrie Disher (Winston-Salem, North Carolina) to Barbara McGeachy, letter, 27 Dec 1999; privately held by McGeachy.
(4) Wilkes County, North Carolina, death certificate no. 31405 (1966), Mary Lougenie [McNeil] Sebastian; digital image, Ancestry.com Operations Inc, "North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975," Ancestry.com (http://www.Ancestry.com : accessed 15 Jun 2011).
(5) Forsyth County, North Carolina, death certificate no. 142 (1921), Wiley T. Snyder, Jr; digital image, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., "North Carolina Death Certificates 1909 - 1975," Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 01 Feb 2012).