Saturday, December 3, 2016

Courting Miss Nora - July 24, 1918 - Last letter from U.S.

In July 1918, the 321st Infantry was sent to France, which took several weeks of travel time. First they took a train from Camp Sevier near Greenville, S.C., to Camp Upton, New York, where they stayed two weeks. Tom wrote a postcard to Nora (see below). 

Tom’s service record shows he served overseas from July 31, 1918 to January 25, 1919.  That means he boarded a ship to Europe on July 31 and returned to American soil on January 25, which is 5 months and 25 days.




[Postmark:]  July 24, 1918  Brooklyn, N.Y   Upton Branch

Miss Nora McNiell, Millers Creek, N.C.

Dear Nora
              Guess you think I am not going to ans. I really haven’t had time. I am ok. Hope you are well. I am in “Long” Island N: York, Camp Upton. Write me.  I remain your true friend (a short while) W.T. Snider

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site.